Monday, October 10, 2011

Private and Public Sector Banks in India - Difference

Today I experienced two different situations. I have an account both in private sector bank and public sector bank. Private sector bank is not that large as compare to public sector bank. Ok this is not making sense. Let me give the names. I have account in Standard Chartered Bank and State Bank of India. Now people in India knows which bank is bigger. For those who do not know, Standard Chartered Bank (SCB) does not have large number of branches as compare to State Bank of India (SBI) and SBI is one of the oldest bank in India.

Scene 1 - Visit to SCB

I entered Bank, and found the temperature pretty cool as compared to outside. It was a hot day. It is a two floor branch in which ground floor is for the customer care and first floor is for all the transactions. I find a lovely looking lady sitting on her seat working on something and there was a plate in which "May I help you" is written. So I went to her and

Me: Excuse me!
Lady: Yes
Me: I want my Bank Statement for the last 6 months.
Lady: Sir, you need to write the application. Here is the page, have a seat and write it.
(I wrote the application and gave it to her)
Me: Here is the application. (I saw her concentrating on something seems to be very important)
Lady: Sir, I am counting something very important. Can you give me 2 minutes?
Me: Ya sure, take your time.
(After 5 minutes)
Lady: Sorry for the delay Sir.
Me: Its Ok!
(She entered my account number and gave the print command)
Lady: Sir, our printer is upstairs. You can collect your statement from there and get it stamped from me.
Me: Ok
(I went upstairs and got the printouts. I also need to submit some cash into the account, so I completed the transaction. I went downstairs again, got my statement stamped and signed. I thanked her and came outside.)

Scene 2 - Visit to SBI (The great Indian bank for common people)

I entered the branch and it was chaos all over. There was no AC working. I was lost and couldn't understand whom should I ask for bank statement. I found a man sitting on his chair working on something. His age seems to be more than 45.

Me: Uncle Ji! (Ji is for respect given to people who are above our age)
Man: (Without saying anything)
Me: Mujhe apni bank statement chahiye last 6 months ki. (I want my bank statement for the last 6 months)
Man: Account kis branch mei hai? (Which is your home branch?)
Me: Vasant Kunj
Man: Wahin se milegi. (Go there, you will get it from there only. The man must be aware that this Vasant Kunj branch is atleast 25 km far)
Me: (in my mind): WTF!
(I thought of asking the same thing to the bank manager who was sitting some seats away busy in discussion with somebody)

I tried to enter his cabin. I thought may be he will ask me about the problem. But he ignored. My friend who was with me from the start said: Yahaan kuch nahi hone waala. Chal..(This place is useless. Lets go!) I agreed and we came out. I cursed the public sector banks and said to my friend, that is why these banks are so backward.

There is a bank whose ambiance was superb and services are world class. Even though I do not have my account on this branch but they gave me my bank statement. And then there is this bank who does not care about their customers. Its only our last choice that we have to open accounts in these banks so as to approve different services. These public sector banks really sucks!!

3 comments:

Kamlesh Sharma said...

hahahahah ! I think you are aware that I'm waiting for my ATM pin from SBI since last 4 years approx .. more than 20 times I have visited the branch ... STATE BANK OF INDIA .. JAI HO !

Priyankar said...

And I have a somewhat similar story with SBI. Still waiting for my online banking application to be approved. They have irritated me to such a level (after 5-6 submission) that I have left the process midway.

Deepak Srivastava said...

I once wished to updated my mobile no in 1 of my SBI accounts, attempted it more than 3 times but alas!

Though I wasn't requested for a written application in Standard Chartered branch for getting a year statement.

--Deepak